I am happy to support students in writing letters of recommendation for funding, graduate, career, and other opportunities. When requesting letters of recommendation, please closely follow the guidelines by completing all the steps below. This ensures that I have both the supporting information and time needed to write a strong letter of recommendation that is tailored to the particular opportunity to which you are applying. During the busy times of year when letters are due (e.g. October and November for example), I may be writing upwards of 30 letters so having the detailed information organized for each student is extremely helpful in managing the process of letter submission and ensuring that all letters are cogent and submitted on time. Also, be mindful of submitting requests for letters during times that Cornell is on break as those are times that I usually reserve for conducting fieldwork abroad and also spending time with family. Please use my out-of-office reply as a guide to my availability during these times.
- Request the letter of recommendation at least 2-4 weeks in advance; a month is preferred if this is the first time I am writing a letter of recommendation for you.
- Provide a few bullet points summarizing your motivation and interest related to the job, school, or funding opportunity to which you are applying.
- Provide a few bullet points about how you feel your research, coursework, or other experience with me is related to the opportunity to which you are applying
- Send me your updated resume or C.V. (curriculum vitae)
- List the exact due date and time due (e.g. December 6th at 11:59pm)
- Provide details about the program that you are applying to (a link to the funding opportunity or program is fine)
- Ideally, all of the above information will come in a single e-mail so that I have all the information in one place.
- Send me an e-mail reminder 2 days before the due date.
- If you are requesting multiple letters of recommendation to various programs or funding opportunities, please send an e-mail listing all the programs, due dates (date and exact time), and submission instructions.